Heart Circle is a tradition of the Radical Faeries to foster open, honest and loving communication with one another; to build resilient community together through healing, trust and unconditional love.
A heart circle is a place where people meet in sacred* space to speak from the heart and be listened to from the heart. Communicating openly this way is a felt experience and an ability developed by taking part in this ritual over time.
Heart circle is a place where you witness and are witnessed just as you are – your authentic self, speaking from the hart rather than the head and expressing all and any emotions that are present for you.
There are some simple guidelines and pointers for taking part in a heart circle:
- Confidentiality is part of the circle – everything said and expressed is kept within that session.
- Speak with ‘I’ statements and talk about yourself and what is going on for you now.
- This is not a place for discussion or debate. No one is interrupted or verbally responded to.
- No one has to speak. Typically there is an object or “talisman” that is used to hold the protected space for each person – whoever holds the talisman has the time and space to speak and no one interrupts (although there are ways to gently express appreciations and resonances with what is being said). When holding the talisman you do not have to speak – you can just be witnessed in your space before passing it on.
- Sometimes a theme may develop but just as often there may not be any theme.
- Although a heart circle is not formalised therapy, the sharing, witnessing and being witnessed can be incredibly healing and transformative for each individual.
- Each heart circle has a defined start and end time and it is important for you to be there at the start so as to be a part of the “flow” and process.
- Sometimes the sharing may naturally end a little early but the always the aim will be to find ways to end it on time.
I believe if we Faeries act consciously within our decisions, compassionately within our actions and truthfully within our words then we can pass our time in this manifested consciousness as one integrated dance of the divine. Our illusions of separateness are not our birth right. They are the subtle energies at play that seek to divide and diffuse our energetic connectivity. As we eat and drink, dance and sing, fuck and play it is the same energy that passes through all things. Let us celebrate the rediscovery of this queer tribal consciousness and enthuse our words, actions, thoughts, and feelings with love, compassion and truth. Let us use our words as we would our hands in Faerie space; to knit together our community with softness, openness, explorative, nurturing, kindness, depth, lightness, healing together so we may continue to shine light into the darkest parts of our lives and lead each other, brothers and sisters, home again.